KS4: Introduction to Microbes
Students are introduced to the exciting world of microbes. In this lesson they will learn about bacteria, viruses, and fungi, their different shapes, and the fact that they are found everywhere.
Scroll down for more information and to download resources.
All students will:
- Understand that useful bacteria are found in our body
- Understand that microbes come in different sizes
- Understand the key differences between the three main types of microbes
Most students will:
- Understand using a variety of concepts and models to develop scientific explanations
Micro-organisms are living organisms too small to be seen with the naked eye; they are microscopic. Micro-organisms are found almost everywhere on Earth and can be both useful and harmful to humans. It is important to clarify that microbes are not innately ‘useful’ or ‘harmful’.
Although extremely small, microbes come in many different shapes and sizes. The three groups of microbes covered in this resource are viruses, bacteria, and fungi.
In this lesson, students will explore the characteristics of different microbes and become familiar with some of the most common and well known microbes through a game.
- Microbe mayhem card game
- Peer education
- Microbe poster
- History of microbes timeline
- Scientific thinking
- Analysis and evaluation
- Experimental skills and strategies
- Development of medicines
- Health and disease
- Health and prevention
Art & Design:
- Graphic communication
Supporting MaterialsTeacher sheets
- Last updated August 2022